As always, Obama gives good rhetoric. However, as modest and uncontroversial as his proposals are at first glance, they’re supposed to be paid for with still greater cuts… so this jobs program is going to put some folks back to work by putting others (namely, those with decent, dependable, often unionized, public sector jobs) out of work?! Also, we should be very concerned about the cuts to payroll taxes that he proposes. True, payroll taxes are the most regressive federal taxes there are and temporarily cutting them will be a short-term relief to many in the working class. However, at what cost? Cutting payroll taxes plays directly into the Republican claim that social security is bankrupt and needs to be scrapped! Obama himself says social security needs to be fixed! If you don’t know what that means, ask your dog!
New book now available!
Cause truth is expensive
- RT @Snowden: Mr. President, if you grant only one act of clemency as you exit the White House, please: free Chelsea Manning. You alone can… 4 months ago
- RT @BrankoMilan: In ys of reading & listening to US pol consultants on democracy I've never heard one who advised foreign country to have i… 5 months ago
- Damn. It's been like a week and I keep hearing people saying Donald Trump is president. #WorstHangoverEver 6 months ago
- @aliciakeys Democracy lives! Well done! 6 months ago
- @aliciakeys @NBCTheVoice You made me feel a little more alive and a little more brave. Thank u 4 this + all that you do! 6 months ago